The 16-19 Bursary Fund
What is the Bursary Fund?
The 16-19 Bursary Fund is a scheme to help students facing financial hardship to continue in full time education after Year 11.
Who is eligible to apply for funding?
- Students must be aged between 16 and 19 on the 31st August at the start of the academic year in which he/she starts a full time study programme
- Students should satisfy the residency criteria as specified in the EFA Funding Guidance
What is a bursary for?
A bursary is money that you can use to pay for things like:
- clothing, books and other equipment for your course
- transport to/from school and meals in the school day
- essential educational trips during the academic year
CHHS Sixth Form may offer bursaries in the form of non-cash “in kind” payments where appropriate, such as travel passes, attendance on course related school trips etc. Any equipment purchased by CHHS Sixth Form for use by an individual learner remains the property of CHHS Sixth Form and must be returned upon completion of or withdrawal from the course.
Who can get a bursary?
1. Vulnerable student bursary
You could get up to £1,200 if at least one of the following applies:
- you’re in or recently left local authority care
- you get Income Support (or Universal Credit in place of Income Support) in your name
- you’re disabled and get both Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) (or Universal Credit in place of ESA), and either Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name
2. Discretionary student bursary
Students who have a gross annual household income of below £27,000 may be eligible for a bursary payment. Students who fall near the threshold are advised to apply also as thresholds may be adjusted depending on the number of applications.
In addition, CHHS Sixth Form will consider requests for bursary support from any student, regardless of eligibility under the above categories, where that student faces exceptional circumstances during the academic year which impacts on their ability to participate in full time education.
How can I apply?
Application forms can be collected from Mrs Turner in the Sixth Form and should be returned by the end of September.
Receipt of a bursary is conditional on the student meeting agreed targets set by CHHS Sixth Form, based on attendance, standards of behaviour and learning outcomes.
The amount of each award will be assessed and disbursed on an individual, case by case basis as detailed in the individual’s application form.
For more information on the bursary fund, visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19-bursary-fund-guide-2017-to-2018-academic-year
Free School Meals
Free school meals are still available to qualifying students in the sixth form. To see if you qualify for FSM, please visit
If you are a student already in receipt of FSM and entering the sixth form from either CHHS or another school within Stockport then we will be notified automatically about your entitlement. If you are joining from a school outside of Stockport, or your circumstances have recently changed and you believe you are entitled to FSM then please apply using the online form on the Stockport council website https://www.stockport.gov.uk/start/free-school-meals-application-form